- newElizabeth Holmes Reports to Prison in Texas on Tuesday
The disgraced founder of the blood testing start-up Theranos, who was convicted of fraud, turned herself in at a minimum-security prison in Texas.
- 6 hours ago 30 May 23, 2:12pm -
- newAI Poses ‘Risk of Extinction,’ Industry Leaders Warn
Leaders from OpenAI, Google DeepMind, Anthropic and other A.I. labs warn that future systems could be as deadly as pandemics and nuclear weapons.
- 6 hours ago 30 May 23, 2:02pm -
- newA Journey Across London on the Elizabeth Line
The new rail line lets travelers leave the city’s tourist-clogged core and embark on fast, inexpensive journeys to fascinating outer-London destinations, from a bustling market town to a hub of South Asian culture.
- 7 hours ago 30 May 23, 1:09pm -
- newBroadway Musicians Object to David Byrne’s ‘Here Lies Love’
The show plans to use recorded music instead of a live band, but a labor union says its contract for the theater requires musicians for musicals.
- 8 hours ago 30 May 23, 12:01pm -
- newWhy Are Food Prices So High in Europe? Sugar, Cheese and Bread Costs Soar
Agricultural and energy costs are falling, but basic items remain stubbornly expensive for consumers.
- 9 hours ago 30 May 23, 11:21am -
- newHere’s What’s in the Debt Limit Deal
Two years of spending caps, additional work requirements for food stamps and cuts to I.R.S. funding are among the components in the deal.
- 10 hours ago 30 May 23, 10:28am -
- newSmile! We’ll Remember This Forced Fun Forever
There is a graceful way to get out of a group picture. But it’s also worth asking why you are so opposed to posing.
- 10 hours ago 30 May 23, 10:19am -
- newCan the ‘California Effect’ Survive in a Hyperpartisan America?
For decades the state has been setting policy for the whole nation. Now red states are pushing back.
- 10 hours ago 30 May 23, 10:19am -
- newClimate Shareholder Activists Rethink Their Fight Amid Setbacks
Climate-focused shareholder activists have scored only a few victories in their efforts to push oil giants to adopt cleaner business strategies.
- 13 hours ago 30 May 23, 6:41am -
- newCathay Pacific Struggles With Aftermath of Covid, and China Crackdown
Pandemic lockdowns, on the heels of the turmoil of pro-democracy protests, hurt an airline that relied on Hong Kong as a vibrant gateway to Asia.
- 18 hours ago 30 May 23, 1:51am -
- new401(k) Hardship Withdrawals Tick Up as Inflation Stays High
Retirement plan administrators are noting an uptick in hardship withdrawals. But taking that money out can harm your future financial security.
- 23 hours ago 29 May 23, 9:12pm -
- Mary Turner Pattiz, Rock D.J. During FM’s Heyday, Dies at 76
She was known as “the Burner” for her seductive delivery, but off the air she was anything but a wild rock ’n’ roller. She later became an addiction counselor.
- 1 day ago 29 May 23, 11:31am -
- Why the Debt Limit Spending Cuts Likely Won’t Shake the Economy
With low unemployment and above-trend inflation, the economy is well positioned to absorb the modest budget cuts that President Biden and Republicans negotiated.
- 2 days ago 29 May 23, 4:26am -
- How Geena Davis Continues to Tackle Gender Bias in Hollywood
When it comes to quantifying bias in popular entertainment, the Academy Award winner’s in a league of her own.
- 2 days ago 28 May 23, 4:26pm -
- From Jacksonville, Florida, Salt Life is Coming to a Beach Near You
First, Salt Life was a tattoo. Then it became a logo. Now it is a lifestyle brand with plans to open stores from coast to coast.
- 3 days ago 28 May 23, 4:01am -
- Yellen’s Debt Limit Warnings Went Unheeded, Leaving Her to Face Fallout
The Treasury secretary, who considered ways to contain the fallout of a default when she was a Fed official in 2011, had urged Democrats to raise the limit while they still had control of Congress.
- 3 days ago 27 May 23, 7:52pm -
- Why Do Almost Half of Americans Leave Paid Time Off on the Table?
In a recent Pew survey, top reasons included worry about falling behind and fear of being fired. DealBook wants to know yours.
- 3 days ago 27 May 23, 4:51pm -
- Biden Officials Announce Indo-Pacific Trade Deal, Clashing With Industry Groups
The United States announced a deal to coordinate supply chains with allies, but prominent business groups said the deal fell short on reducing tariffs and other trade barriers.
- 3 days ago 27 May 23, 3:06pm -
- Has ‘Gig Work’ Become a Dirty Word?
If work for companies like Uber and Lyft once carried some appeal for offering flexibility, the kind of labor it has come to represent is now used by some as shorthand for a raw deal.
- 3 days ago 27 May 23, 3:01pm -
- Netflix Starts to Crack Down on Password Sharing
The streaming company had said it was looking for ways to increase revenue. And one way was to make more people pay for the service.
- 3 days ago 27 May 23, 2:24pm -
- Inside Fox’s Legal and Business Debacle
Fox’s handling of the defamation suit brought by Dominion Voting Systems, which settled for $787.5 million, left many unanswered questions.
- 3 days ago 27 May 23, 9:16am -
- Debt Ceiling Crisis: How a Default Could Unfold
Here’s a look at what markets are expecting and planning for, and how a default might happen.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 10:31pm -
- Hyundai and LG Plan $4.3 Billion Battery Plant in Georgia
The facility is the second battery project under development in the state by Hyundai Motor Group and may bring 3,000 jobs.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 9:45pm -
- Yellen Expects U.S. to Run Out of Cash by June 5 as Debt Talks Continue
The latest estimate comes as Republicans and the White House are trying to reach an agreement to raise the debt ceiling and avoid a crippling default.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 8:20pm -
- Billionaires Worth More Than the United States’ Cash Balance
The cash balance at the Treasury Department is now lower than the net worth of some of the world’s richest people.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 7:55pm -
- Time Is Running Out for Congress to Raise the Debt Ceiling
With a June 5 deadline looming, there is much to be done to prevent the default that leaders of both parties said would never happen.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 5:17pm -
- How the Employee Retention Tax Credit Became a Magnet for Fraud
The Employee Retention Credit has spawned a cottage industry of firms claiming to help businesses get stimulus funds, often in violation of federal rules.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 4:29pm -
- Lazard Names Peter Orszag to Succeed Ken Jacobs as C.E.O.
Mr. Orszag will oversee a financial institution with a long history of advising on corporate deals at a time when its mainstay business faces huge challenges.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 12:58pm -
- Gasoline Prices, a Source of Pain Last Year, Have Come Way Down
Reasons include a stronger supply of oil and weaker-than-expected demand, energy experts say. Some people are saving hundreds of dollars on fuel.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 11:44am -
- An Iconic Wine Store and the Mystery of the Missing Bottles
Sherry-Lehmann, a longtime purveyor of luxury wines, owes New York State $2.8 million in unpaid sales taxes — and its customers an explanation.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 11:32am -
- In Italy, Using Modern Jewelry Machinery for New Creations
Manufacturers in Vicenza are experimenting with technological advances that would allow brands to go beyond traditional handcrafted methods.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 9:38am -
- Consumer Spending Rose More Than Expected in April
New data on spending and income suggest that the economy remains robust despite the Federal Reserve’s interest rate increases.
- 4 days ago 26 May 23, 8:46am -
- Contributions to College Savings Plans Pick Up as Inflation Eases
Deposits into 529 savings accounts fell last fall and early this year. But experts say the stock market recovery is helping to attract more money.
- 5 days ago 26 May 23, 8:00am -
- For the Markets, It’s Not Just the Debt Ceiling
A host of issues face the markets, beyond the prospect of a possible default on U.S. debt. Hedge your bets and ride it out, our columnist says.
- 5 days ago 26 May 23, 8:00am -
- Jamie Dimon to Be Deposed as JPMorgan Faces Reckoning for Epstein Ties
Two lawsuits claim that the nation’s largest bank ignored signs about Jeffrey Epstein’s sex trafficking because it was profiting from its relationship with him.
- 5 days ago 26 May 23, 6:41am -
- Investors See Hope for a Debt Limit Deal
Stock and bond trading suggest that investors see an imminent deal to raise the debt limit and prevent the federal government from defaulting.
- 5 days ago 26 May 23, 6:24am -
- Restaurant Chain Franchises Face Scrutiny From the FTC
Troubles at the restaurant chain Burgerim highlight concerns about whether franchisees need more protection in their contracts with franchisers.
- 5 days ago 26 May 23, 4:36am -
- Predawn Picket Lines Help Writers Disrupt Studio Productions
Workers from other unions have shown solidarity with the strikers, catching entertainment companies off guard.
- 5 days ago 26 May 23, 4:03am -
- Digital Interactions Are Just Part of a Jewelry Sale Now
Brands find that some of their customers’ pandemic-era buying habits are here to stay.
- 5 days ago 26 May 23, 4:01am -
- White House and GOP Close In on Debt Ceiling Deal
The details were not finalized, but negotiators were discussing a compromise that would allow Republicans to point to spending reductions and Democrats to say they had prevented large cuts.
- 5 days ago 25 May 23, 9:01pm -
- How DeSantis’s Twitter Spaces Event Compares to Past Livestreams
The Republican presidential candidate’s announcement on Twitter had a high of about 300,000 concurrent listeners and a total of 3.4 million listeners as of Thursday.
- 5 days ago 25 May 23, 7:28pm -
- Minnesota Governor Vetoes Gig Worker Pay Bill
Gov. Tim Walz said the legislation would have raised costs for ordering an Uber or Lyft too high, potentially pricing out Minnesota customers.
- 5 days ago 25 May 23, 5:16pm -
- Supreme Court Rules That States Are Not Entitled to Windfalls in Tax Disputes
In a unanimous decision, the justices sided with a 94-year-old woman who got nothing when a Minnesota county sold her condominium to recoup unpaid taxes.
- 5 days ago 25 May 23, 4:54pm -
- Nvidia Nears Trillion-Dollar Valuation on Rising AI Demand
The company delivered a robust sales forecast, powered by demand for the processors that run artificial intelligence systems.
- 5 days ago 25 May 23, 3:47pm -
- Microsoft Calls for AI Rules to Minimize Risks
Its president, Brad Smith, said companies needed to “step up” and governments needed to “move faster” as artificial intelligence progressed.
- 5 days ago 25 May 23, 3:01pm -
- Military Spending Emerges as Big Dispute in Debt-Limit Talks
President Biden has offered to freeze discretionary spending, including for defense. Republicans want to spend more for the military, and cut more elsewhere.
- 5 days ago 25 May 23, 2:27pm -
- After Backlash, Target Becomes Latest Brand to Shift Pride Marketing
Target became the latest company to adjust plans for marketing supportive of the L.G.B.T.Q. community after it faced backlash from some customers.
- 5 days ago 25 May 23, 2:16pm -
- 2 Top Editors to Depart Wall Street Journal
The changes are the latest under the news organization’s new editor in chief, Emma Tucker.
- 5 days ago 25 May 23, 1:20pm -
- German Economy Slipped Into Recession in First Quarter
Growth in Germany, Europe’s largest economy, was negative for the second consecutive quarter in the first three months of 2023.
- 5 days ago 25 May 23, 1:16pm -
- Carl Icahn’s Proxy Fight With Illumina Comes to a Vote
Shareholders are set to vote on Thursday whether to back the gene-sequencing company’s incumbent board or candidates named by the activist investor.
- 6 days ago 25 May 23, 8:03am -